Wednesday, June 13, 2007

What 's in a plate!

I have been wanting to write this for a long long time but never got around to it. Personalized or Vanity plates for cars. I have my own analysis for the different kinds of plates and here goes:

Why people have plates that they do. Mine is simple enough, I put my name on all my cars, not because I want to but because Subhash prefers it that way;) (Yeah yeah, very convenient;) )

There is one category of plates which comes about when people pride themselves in what they do. Here I should mention a plate that I saw yesterday on my way back home because it is what actually triggered this post, I finally remembered to write it. The plate was "Ex Av8r" (Oops! I don't know if I am violating any privacy laws by mentioning plates in the open:P But if you put the plate on your car for the world to see, can you really sue me for putting it here? :D And as a goodwill gesture I might just let you know what my own plate says;) How is that for an offer you cannot refuse? ;)). So anyway plates which show off your pride in your profession ex or current (Maybe I should have NETWORK as my plate;) )

Then there is the category of people trying to express their deep and innermost emotions on a car plate! A "heart" B and so on and so forth, you get the idea.

Then there is the category of dedicating a car to someone. "4 G BUSH" (Yeah, right;)) etc.

Of course there is the category of putting your name on the plate (as a way of saying this car is mine, remember the handkerchiefs pinned along with your ID on your kindergarten uniform?;) ) I belong to this category, yet again, not because I want it that way;) (Yeah, whatever!)

One category is confused. I can't read the plate nor can I make out what it means. One example could be "XLGNDS" (No, this is not an actual plate, just something I made up by way of example) Plates that make you go "What in the world does that mean??"

Personally the category I think most stupid is when people state the very obvious, like putting "AUDI" on an AUDI, "MERC" on a BENZ, "BMW" on a BMW et al. Please, it shows a complete lack of imagination!!!! Its name shows on the head of the trunk, why do I need to read it on your plate in bigger letters yet again?!?!

The other category is innovative. Plates that say fun things in the best imaginable way :) "I AM MAD" could be stated as an example (no, this is not a real plate either, d'uh!) Or plates that are teasers. Its a challenge to spell them out again and again and when you try to say them in all possible ways, you hit the right sentence that the plate is trying to shout loud;) And then you feel a sense of achievement, just like that, while driving!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment