Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The SUVs vs. the Vespas

I noticed that my land-lady's parking spot had a brand new Dodge SUV in it this morning on my way to the gym. While getting to work, I asked her and she said that they had got one, yeah.

In the US, usually when families are expecting a baby, or have already had one in the recent past, they tend to buy an SUV. Family is growing, car needs to grow in size too ;)

On my way to the gym I was wondering ... as I do a lot these days;) Back in time, when we were a family of four, me, my sister and my parents, we still made do with the VESPA we had. having a car was a big-time luxury and I remember, all the four of us managed to move around with just the one VESPA, till we grew too tall for it. My mom and dad on the seat with my sister in between them and me in the front, holding on to the headlight and skillfully trying to not block it. And we used to wait and anticipate those rides around the city so much! Going to school by the VESPA instead of in the bus was the height of luxury:)

Now when I think of it, I feel good about how much petrol we saved;) The city has changed so much now. With rising incomes, 20-somethings afford cars, traffic has grown, and smoke bellows. The charm of the VESPA fades ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment