Wednesday, June 13, 2007

India Shopping

Wonder who invented this term! Whenever I have to shop before going to India, I think about it.

We were telling my colleague about the "India Shopping" phenomenon. We told him it was like Christmas shopping, really not much different, except for you don't have a seasonal limitation to it, nor the tree-affairs. The context was that he was enlisting the advantages of taking in an Indian Bride in that he wouldn't have to do Christmas shopping (he implicitly meant Hindu bride I suppose). So we scared him proper with all the expectations that he would have to meet when he goes to India once-a-year (yeah, THAT is compulsory, can't be avoided;) ) not to mention, the cost to transport himself AND his bride there once a year;) At the end he was of the opinion that Christmas shopping was much better;)


I remember the first time I shopped for "India" back in 2002. I actually wrote a HUGE list of all relatives that I had to shop for. Then went around shopping for everyone trying to take something different for everyone. Whole affair took two weeks and packing another two. With things going in and out of the suitcases.

Now I just do generic stuff for everyone. Maybe 2-3 specific requests and the rest in 2-3 different genres. That first time enthusiasm has long waned in the myriad 6 trips that I have done so far;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment