Friday, June 15, 2007

Multicast....

..is my technology area. I work on it day in and day out. An incident back in school struck me suddenly the other day. I was interviewing with a company (I actually forgot which one it was, but just remember they were completely uninterested in hiring networking majors. And oh, that they had a grad reception the previous night at the "White Horse Inn" on Henry Street;) ) back in 2003, and for some reason I was really groggy. Maybe it was the time and place, but I was just in such a daze. One of the last questions the interviewer asked me was "What is Multicast?" And I knew it. I knew Unicast, Multicast and Broadcast. BUT at that moment, I was blocked! Completely and utterly!! I just couldn't think of or remember what it meant (kind of dumb actually) and I replied "I have no idea what it is" (Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!) and sure enough I didn't get that job;) (I never regretted it, it didn't look like it was made for me)

I came out of the interview, damn sure I wasn't getting this job and then 5 minutes down the corridor I went "Multicast is where you transmit the same stuff to multiple recipients without actually making as many copies" Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa? Why did I say "I have no idea what it is". I felt like running right back into the room and telling the interviewer this same thing. But alas! too late;) And in the evening I was lamenting to my friend about how I suffered "multicast amnesia" in that room. I have never quite experienced anything like that in my whole life, thus far. Complete mental block! Like the neuron that held my source of multicast information just went pop, and then there was darkness (and ignorance)..

Ironical, today it is my technology area and area of select expertise;) !!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment