Wednesday, August 15, 2007

You are in test? Huh! That is easy..

That is what a lot of people seem to think. QA/Test engineering is an easy/mundane/boring job. Or all three. I agree, it could be a little easier than developing, but there ends my agreement.

Yes, testing is a less hassled job than development, because after all it is easier to catch faults than to correct them;) But, it cannot be a peanut-butter spread. It is not the same in all industries. I beg to differ.

Where I work, in Cisco, the only people who get to do end-to-end networking are Test. The only people who KNOW networking end-to-end are Test. I always try really hard to explain to new hires, how fancying a development job when your real interest is Networking, is a big mistake. BIG mistake!

Today, one of our Senior Directors was making a remark about how Test is doing an excellent job front-ending with customers. Yeah, you heard it right. The only people who face the customers from our Engineering is Test. That is simply because we are the only people who can do that. We are the only people who (can) make sure our routers behave themselves and work like they are supposed to.

So next time you think QA is easy, think again:) Not every QA job is mundane. Not every QA job is boring. Mine is perfect for me and I love doing it :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey
Totally agree.
We get to know the whole thing, the 'big picture' unlike developer/designers who only know the teeny bit they work on.

It is different from software, where the meat is programming, whereas in our fields, the meat is the 'application' Hm I dont know if I put that right. :--)

DivSu said...

You put it perfectly. I almost grow tired of telling the fresh-out-of-college ones this same thing;) Maybe I should ask them to read this post and your comment from this time onwards ;)

Random thots said...

Testing is a more responsible job than developing. When testers dont do their job with responsibilty then end users will suffer.

Vyshnavi said...

Loved this post. :)

Testing/Operations/Maintenance are all difficult posts to fill. Most people don't understand how difficult it is. I am having difficulty now finding a teammate because people are hesitant and feel it is somehow inferior to dev!

Anonymous said...

Divs, vot i believe matters is ..how much u like doing something..nothing else matters..Nothing else :)

Aumkar ;)

Anonymous said...

"Mine is perfect for me and I love doing it "
Not many people can say that. It's nice to see people who like their jobs. Also, I see a lot of people who choose to stay at a place even after the job become boring. In my belief that is the starting of a bad career!

Post a Comment