Thursday, August 23, 2007

Reliance India Call

I still remember those days. Awful calling cards. That struggle with 9278.com. (Wonder why they named it that!) Those long pins to dial from BigZoo.com. And all for nothing. Every time you called, whether or not you got through you still got pelted with charges. Whether or not you heard them or they heard you, the call still got recorded (Of course! What do you expect!Duh!)

Well anyway, then came Reliance. Way higher charges than any of those other guys. 13c a minute (as opposed to 3-4c) . Still we moved to it. Why? Because it was incomparable. Unbelievable. Incredulous even. Not a single dropped call. Crystal clear voice. Every time.

13c a minute! Every time I re-charged it, my heart skipped a beat. Yet, I stuck with it. Subhash was shelling out his entire paycheck on long-distance calls at that time (he was back in India then) so I didn't have to. Despite that, it came to a lot. Compared to 9278 at least;) Yet, I preferred it. Just because it was peace of mind. I knew that if I called, I would be able to talk.

I still remember their first website. So primitive and simple. Their biggest highlight was PINless dialing and needless to say it attracted a lot of people.

Once they got a strong base here, they grew. We could re-charge on the phone and what not. (You don't want to guess how many times I have used the phone re-charge option;) Its one too many) Then from not covering some states in the US, they grew to covering other countries as well. You could now call countries like New Zealand and Australia with the same account. Then I think it got two way. Now (apparently from their website) you can also use Reliance if you are in any of the other countries to call India and everyone else in the network?

The website is a lot more complicated now. Lots more bells and whistles. Lot more buttons to click to simply recharge. But I am not complaining. They have got their price down and I am one happy customer:)

I know they have enough clout and money to pull such a thing off, but still I feel good about it. Feel good that I finally don't have to worry about calling home. Yeah I know Reliance-antagonists have a lot of things to say but well, I guess that is not the point here!

1 comments:

Rekha said...

Youre so right about reliance. And hey.. I didnt know they had phone recharge. Ive once called my colleague and walked her thru the recharge process, so I could continue my conversation with my mom on my one hr drive to work.

Post a Comment