Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Old Friends and New Fancies

No. Not a fancy name for my post. It is just the name of the book I finished reading last night. After two 24 hour long flight journeys and post dinner half-hour reading slots, I finally finished it :D

It is an imaginary sequel for Jane Austen's novels. Her Pride and Prejudice leaves you wanting more. More about what happens after Lizzy and Darcy marry? How do they live? How does she adjust in the family.

I was contemplating which of the numerous imaginary sequels to pick up as a start. I am glad I chose this book. It is an easy read. And Sybil Brinton, stays as close to Jane Austen as possible. I didn't feel like I was reading an imaginary sequel. She has done a good job. Apparently this was the first sequel written for any Jane Austen novel and it doesn't disappoint. Must read if you claim to be a Jane Austen fan! I don't want to spoil the plot by revealing it, but it picks and chooses a few characters from all of Jane Austen's half-a-dozen novels and beautifully intertwines the characters in an after-life of their own novels.

I think I will start Darcy's diaries next.

Next I need to catch "Becoming Jane". This weekend, yes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting about the sequel. I'll look out for that book. I can't wait for the Jane Austen movie. I've already told Adit that I want to see it. Poor guy.. he's so not looking fwd to seeing it:)

Priya

Anonymous said...

Did you watch Becoming Jane? I caught 10 minutes of it. (Yeah, yeah, I sneaked into the theater while waiting for another movie). The camera work was amazing! The dialog didn't seem all that interesting. Also, I somehow couldn't imagine Anne Hatheway as Jane Austin. She didn't look mature enough.

Post a Comment