Friday, January 18, 2008

Back to India - Footnotes

If you have come back looking for my earlier Part 2, its now merged with Back to India and is more streamlined. Actually, I was very apprehensive about writing this post. In fact, I got a couple of my friends to read it and tell me if it was not too offensive, didn't feel very extreme etc etc. You see, I blog as an outlet for my thoughts, I know I can write anything, its my space, but all the same, I care about the people who read it. And this is a sensitive/touchy topic and everyone reading it can interpret it in their own way. One of the perils of written language. And I didn't want to sound arrogant when saying anything. So I took feedback, went over it, trimmed it down where people thought it might give offense and put it all back into one post.



Again, what I say here is purely my own opinion. The object of conversation here is a few million Indians who migrate every year to the US. And obviously there cannot be one general rule for all those millions of people. Each has their own reasons and each has their own circumstances to deal with. If I were in a different position, culturally or economically or in any other way, I would have probably had another opinion. That is what Subhash has taught me. Everyone decides their life based on their environment. What seems the right thing for us need not be right for everyone else. What is seemingly wrong to us, can probably be the best thing for someone else. So I've learnt from him not to be judgemental. But I do love having these discussions. Because every time I do, I get a new perspective from someone new. And that either reinforces what I already think (when I hear a similar opinion) or forces me to find clarity in my thoughts (when I hear a conflicting opinion). And every time its clearer, I am happier :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment