Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ammamma

She was the last grandparent Subhash and I had. And we lost her last week.

My Ammamma. (Mom's mom) True to her nature, she was called Annapurna. (Goddess of agriculture/fertility) I have fond memories of her. But the memories I do not have of her are the ones for which I need to be most obliged. My mom tells me how much she did for me when I was a little infant of barely 1 month.

But I can truly cherish the ones I remember. When I was a kid, I used to insist on her listening to my A, B, C, D, E, F, G song and she always did so patiently. She used to have us pick all the Badams (Almond) from this huge tree in their yard and she would patiently extract the badam from each one and I always used to say she should do it faster because I was always the impatient glutton. She used to ask me to massage her feet with ghee and would offer me ghee as bribe if I did it. (I would never do it without the bribe). She was most interested in playing "Dayam" which is similar to the one Kauravas and Pandavas play in Mahabharata. We always used to try and not play with her, she was really good at it.

Subhash's parents visited her once when I was here and I remember how impressed his mom was at my Ammamma's Homoeopathy knowledge and how much she remembered at that fragile age.

When we lost my grandfather, it was rather a big blow for her. Followed by my uncle (my mom's elder brother). Since then, she suffered various injuries which coupled with age, rendered her rather immobile the past couple years. Subhash never got a chance to meet her and we always feel that loss. I saw her back in July, and what I saw tore me apart. I am glad the suffering is over for her and she is relieved now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. My condolences.

Me lost my last Grandparent when I was in VII grade.

My parents are grandparents now. Generational turnover has happened.

Sudhir

Anonymous said...

Oh oh :--( Heartfelt condolences.

Unknown said...

Sorry for your loss. May she RIP

Anonymous said...

now i miss my ammamma!i think they are mini gods rt: )....good note keep it up...

Anonymous said...

Archana tells me that when baby plays by herself, smiling and laughing and generally waving at somebody in the room only she can see, legend has it that her ancesters come down to play with her.

P.S.
Btw, I've changed my blog URL to sudhirvoleti.blogspot.com

Post a Comment