Friday, November 16, 2007

Masala Vadas and miscellaneous

We had yet another Potluck @ work. This time the excuse was Thanksgiving. (OK, now you all know it we have too much fun here ;) ). This time was a first for me in that I didn't do anything for it, yet had something to take ;) Masala Vadas!! Thanks to Subhash's mom, she woke up early in the morning and made a bunch of Vadas for me to take to the Potluck. Very sweet! I didn't break any sweat this time, thanks to her :)

And needless to say they were a super hit! :) Gone clean in 10 mins! I told folks that his mom made them and they were asking for longer she is around and if they can expect some more. (Yeah we are all like that ;) ) Back home, I loved eating Masala Vadas (actually also Samosas and Idlis and anything else, any vendor cares to sell) on those long train journeys to Bangalore and the likes. That II class train journey experience is unbeatable :D

Another thing I noticed is our work culture. Except for some unusual work places, its more or less relaxed and laid back. I got a whiff of it when I first moved here. Everyone comes and goes at their own time. As long as you get your work done, no one cares when you come and go. Actually Subhash's bro is here with us for a week and he was saying he had to leave for work @ 7.30 ish just like he does back home. I was like, no one here goes to work at odd hours like that ;) We all go around 9, sometimes even 9 is too early;) True to the Bay Area spirit, he has been going later and later to work starting Monday;) I think today he broke his own record by going @ 9. Way to go!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my What would I not give for home made Masala Vadas now. ;--)

flexible work hours really spoil people, one guy at work comes at 11:30, and directly joins us for lunch at cafe. ;--)

-Z

DivSu said...

Yeah I know. One of my friends in Seattle does that too, but then she works till 8 in the night. I believe as long as I get my work done, why bother about when/how I do it. But our generation is a spoilt one. We have the choice to argue this point at least. Our Mums/Dads didn't have it ;)

Anil P said...

Vadas yummm

Anonymous said...

Looks like Masala Vada season. They were on the menu for the two most recent potlucks. Both times by different people, but yummy!

Aysosceles said...

I can't help but notice that this blog is mostly filled with topics on eating.

And I like the idea of thanksgiving with vadas. Helps advance the gastrointestinal urges.

Thanks for saving the turkey. When the day of judgement arrives and turkeys start eating humans, I am sure you'll be pardoned and sent to disneyland by the first bird-brained president.

Post a Comment