Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Mission Accomplished!!!

After a year-long travail, Subhash's parents were here last week.

And I felt the complete satisfaction of a job well done:)

I remember applying for their visa, for the first time, a little past midnight on my birthday last year. The visa, the papers, the scramble. Their initial attempt at getting a visa was rejected, and that was a big blow for us. For them it was too, much more, they didn't feel up to re-applying immediately. Their next attempt was in December and this time it went through just fine!

We wanted them to come in summer, but they had an engagement in India which they had to attend. So it got pushed out to June first and then July. I didn't want them to travel alone, and so did Subhash, so we decided that I would go and bring them, even while we were getting visa dates. Since that was fixed and I got myself a flight end of June. As July drew near, my apprehension grew. It was my first visit after the wedding and the deal with splitting time between them and my own parents, how everyone would react, how new it would be etc weighed really heavy on my mind. I didn't know it, but by the time I had to actually travel, I was quite the bundle of nerves;)

My trip came and went. All I can say about it, SMOOTH. I never expected it to go off without any hiccups. It exceeded all my own best estimates :D I realized that we had an excellent chemistry, his parents and me, which was totally mind-blowing :) So I didn't mind the fact that it was very busy and very hectic. Shopping for myself, shopping for Subhash (this was the more elaborate part;) ), shopping for items in general, helping his parents wrap up, going around with them for all odd jobs, copying, printing, meeting people, this that and more. So if all I say when you ask "How was the India trip" is "Hectic" don't be surprised. Then came the packing. It challenged even my expertise at stuffing;) Stuff overflowed so much, that on the day we were leaving, I had to open yet another bag and stuff every excess in. When I brought my parents here, it was another mad rush altogether (I beat all my previous records and went just for a week back then;) ), so the packing rush was not significant compared to everything else, but this time it was!

Then the flight. I was apprehensive of how his parents would be able to manage the long leg between HK and SFO. They had never been on a long flight before. We left Hyderabad, got off in Singapore. I let them sleep for a couple hours before we headed to Subhash's friend, Ashish's place. It was heavenly to have a shower and then we got out to explore Singapore. Took a duck tour and watched all the major spots in Singapore. It was a little rushed getting back to the airport, but we were all checked in through to SFO so it was ok. Had a hurried Indian meal and got onto the flight in Singapore for HK.


Got off at HK, break was really short. More around 50 minutes. I had some HK dollars left from my trip to Teju so I wanted to spend them. We left the luggage with his Dad and his mom and I went shopping ;) Only when we were coming back we realized it was time for boarding and that his Dad might be getting worried:P We somehow explained our transgression to him and got on;) This plane was challenging because we had gotten different seats. I had to convince another passenger to take my seat so I could sit with them. Singapore to HK was short so I didn't mind, but I wanted to stay together for the long haul.


Flight was ok. They slept well, and I was happy (I had some snoring moments myself;) ) Watched Guru for the nth time and finally managed to make it through. SFO came immigration, customs, luggage everything went smooth too. Subhash was waiting for us and we drove back home.

When my parents came back with me, things were different. I was not answerable to anyone at that time except to them, and they were traveling with me. I knew the responsibility of it, but it was not overpowering. I was used to it. I was used to them. They were used to me. I knew them so well, that I knew what to do and what not to do. This time it was different. It was a big deal and that is saying something. I had to learn and apply the learning at the same time. Ensure comfort but first learn what that comfort was. Had it not been his parents with all their support and adjusting nature (I will write a blog about them later;) ), I would not have been able to make it through, I am sure of it :)

When I think of it, it overwhelms me. Even now. And I am thankful to God that it was this smooth. Can't express that thankfulness enough. Truly a mission well accomplished, even though I say it myself :)

2 comments:

dharmabum said...

god bless.

i don't like the way these firangs at the visa issuing places treat us indians. i'd rather stay put here. may sound like sour grapes sotyr, for i haven't had a chance to go abroad yet, but if i do and if my visa gets rejected, i won't be unduly perturbed. i love travel, so i'll rather find some god forsaken country where i am welcome :)

Anonymous said...

dear chy.divya,
its great achivement.but for ur
initiative and determination we would not have landed
at US.ur planning and organising the things is really
wonderful.u have made our journey very comfortable.
when we first landed in US,its a
great moment of happiness for us; to meet and spend
time with our dearones.keep it up.enjoy life.for the
time being we r missing u.with blessings to both-nanna

Post a Comment