Sunday, July 29, 2007

Missed Calls

Talking of the enterprising nature of fellow Bharateeyas, one cannot miss mentioning the concept of "Giving a missed call".

One of my friends' Dad always used to wonder, what "Giving a missed call" means. Literally it doesn't make sense;) You either give a call or you miss a call, but "give a missed call"? ;)

In a time when India was just beginning to see mobile evolution, incoming calls were charged. So were outgoing needless to say. So what would you do if you were enterprising enough? In case you made a plan with someone, involving needing to call that person at some point in the plan, you would "give a missed call", that way no one loses, neither the caller nor the called. (For those of you unaware of the concept of giving a missed call, it involves calling, letting the other phone ring a couple times and disconnecting. If both persons involved understand the concept, the callee doesn't answer when he/she sees the incoming call, clever;) )

It is used very commonly even today. "I will give you a missed call once I reach there" my aunt says to my mom and I grin:) Enterprising to the core!

0 comments:

Post a Comment