Friday, May 11, 2007

Fascinated by the older centuries

After a long time, I had a breather @ work. I read up on some politics we were discussing on 1970s India during lunch. Inspired that I got this far, I did what I do when I am in the mood for some India:) Read up on our History. I never understand how I got through High School not liking this subject at all and loathing it for the huge amounts that you had to read (rather learn by-heart). Anything I read on history was always a mess. I could never get the dates right, never. I would put Aurangazeb bang in the middle of the Chola kings (actually maybe they did rule at the same time? Heck, I don't remember:( ) I gained an immense expertise at memorizing without understanding mainly due to History lessons. Its the fault of those guys who wrote the text books you know. Too much into young brains...tsk..tsk..tsk..

Now that I have a bigger mind (hopefully its grown in sheer size since I was 10!!) I like reading about the history of India. We all talk about our culture, but I want to see it as a movie, start to finish. What happened, how were the lifestyles (gosh! I think I will become an anthropologist!!), what did they do to spend time, how did they come about making great discoveries, how did they progress through the centuries to become one of the greatest civilizations.

They say you live seven lives. I wish I really had 7 lives, one in the Indus-Valley era, one in the Vedic Era, one in which I would have been subject to King Asoka, one in the great Vijayanagara empire, one in pre-colonial India, one just post Independence (I guess that is too late to have a 6th life when I have a 7th life starting in the late 20 century;) ). But well, what is the harm in dreaming. And I wish I could remember vividly all the details from those lives of mine. But I guess if I did, I would be too nostalgic and keep wanting to go back to my 1st or 2nd life;) And I would absolutely probably hate the shallow life of the 21st century? Or maybe I would have loved how we can go half-way across the globe in 22 hours flat and marvel at the strides we have made since my 1st life;)

Maybe...its all running amuck in my mind right now. I wish I had a time machine. I would love to go back to the times when we had kings and experience what it would be like...aaaaa...I need to go home and watch a B&W Telugu movie now....soemthing about the great Vijayanagara Samrajyam:)

Finding solace in Tollywood...and NTR of course!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Divya,

Nice post there.

Why only the past, I'd like to add some future centuries to live in too. That much more interesting it would be....

Sudhir

Random thots said...

I used to love history when i used to study in school.When I see NTR movies now..I feel something weird in the way he acted.Donno why I feel that way-lahari

Post a Comment