Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy 63!

Today is my mother-in-law's birthday. Had she lived, she would have turned 63.

We were trying in vain to pay the older son's admission fees to his new school yesterday. First the bank website did not work, then the school's payment portal did not and it continued into this morning. Finally I went and paid by check. Subhash and I were thinking in the morning how we were destined maybe to do it on her birthday, so we remember it in the years to come.

I saw a beru vendor on the way to the school. I thought, I HAVE to buy those today. Even if it means I have to go back and buy and then go to work. At the school I got delayed while waiting to pay the fees. When I got out, I was in a hurry to get back to work, and the berus just completely skipped out of my mind. That is until I saw that vendor right in front of the gate across the street from where I parked. I happily bought some and went to the car, fetched the wallet and paid him! I always loved those little red fruits. So much, that my mother in law used to make papads out of them for me and ship to the US, since we did not get it there. Even when we moved back, she always made some every season. Somewhere some voice said, because you like them, you should eat some today.

In the morning, we told the older one that it was baamma's birthday today. He reflected for a couple of seconds and said, then where is the cake. I told him Dad would buy it in the evening, and his Dad said I would buy it, and we left it undecided. I wanted to get something, then left the thought at that. There was a birthday celebration event at work (it is a monthly affair, all birthdays falling in that month are celebrated by the whole org), I knew about it for about a week. I went there and there was a lot of cake left over, so like I usually do, without any extraneous thoughts whatsoever, I packed some to bring back for the folks at home. Only when I got it back to my office, almost as if someone told me, I remembered that I had intended to take back home some cake for my mother-in-law's birthday!

Coincidence? I think not. I think my mother-in-law spoke to me at least thrice today. In her own way! Couldn't have been happier :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment